Facts about the song
The following facts were taken from the relevant article at Wikipedia.
- This was the sixth single released from Jackson's 1991 album Dangerous.
- In a 2001 Internet chat with fans, Jackson said this was the song he is most proud to have created.
- Jackson created the Heal the World Foundation, a charitable organization which was designed to improve the lives of children. The organization was also meant to teach children how to help others. This concept of 'betterment for all' would become a centerpiece for the Dangerous World Tour.
- The music video features children living in countries suffering from unrest. It is also one of only a handful of Michael Jackson's videos not to feature Jackson himself, the others being "Cry", "HIStory" and "Man in the Mirror". (The clips for "HIStory" and "Man in the Mirror" only feature Michael Jackson in archival footage).
- In the documentary Living with Michael Jackson, Jackson said he created the song in his "Giving Tree" at the Neverland Ranch.
- Jackson performed the song in the Super Bowl XXVII halftime show with a 35,000 person flash card performance.
- An ensemble performance of "We Are the World" and "Heal the World" closed Jackson's memorial service at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on July 7, 2009. The song was performed as rehearsed by Jackson at the venue just days earlier, in preparation for his planned "This Is It" tour in London.
R.I.P. Michael Jackson (1958-2009)